Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford: Hey I have a friend whose 01 Ford explorer when he tries…

Customer Question
Hey I have a friend...
Hey I have a friend whose 01 Ford explorer when he tries to crank it won't turn over or the fuel pump won't come on an the key is turning over but wont turn the motor on or the fuel an nothing is wrong with the starter kinda like a antitheft system
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
6/28/2015
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 3 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
just need to make sure the actual problem.
Is this a crank over by the starter but the engine does not start, or
is this a no crank over by the starter?
If the check engine light on when the key is turned on and go out when the engine is cranking over?
Is the RED theft light flashing rapidly when the key is turned to on?
Thank you for responding and this is going to be detailed but thoroughly and we know these facts for sure.
1. It won't crank over by starter
2.the check engine light stays on constantly except when the vehicle is turned off
3.the anti theft engine light is always rapidly flashing when the key is turned over,but slows down when the key is turned off
Facts we know an have checked
#1. We know for certain it's NOT the fuel pump that's went bad
#2. It's NOT the starter Thats bad
#3 it's not the ignition switch or the computer
Here is what we tried
#1. We jumped the starter with key turned over an there was sparks on the spark plug wires,which still didn't crank,it does have fuel pressure, but without jumping the starter off it will not even turn over with the key
#2 we checked all the fuses and they are good in both boxes (under hood & inside the truck)
If the RED theft light is flashing rapidly with the key in the on position, then there is a PATS key issue causing the problem. The PATS system needs to see the chip in the PATS key to allow the vehicle to start. When it does not, the vehicle will not start and the PCM (Engine Computer) will stop it.
You will need to get the PCM checked for trouble codes. Along with the PATS module. Below are the causes of this problem.
The passive vehicle protection system will be activated and will disable the vehicle from starting if there is a:
damaged encoded key.
unprogrammed key.
non-encoded key (key has no electronics).
wiring concern.
transceiver concern.
PCM concern.
module communications network concern
We already configured that there is a wiring problem or computer problem but there is no simple way to get a quick fix on this,but I'm a 33 yr old woman an had a couple guys help me but I'm stuck at a store parking lot and it is very Hott where I'am in the south an I'm just very upset,hot, an tired along with my 5 yr old daughter who is not happy,so I figured hopefully I could get a quick resolution an they could run to O'Reileys an pick it up an fix it,but my luck ha. I guess now I will have to pay some1 come tow the car an someone to take us home an then come Monday take it to a mechanic, you have been great an I appreciate your time an I wish I could have been satisfied but it's not u its just the stupid truck! My dad should be back to town tomorrow an maybe I can leave the vehicle here so I don't hav to call for towing
I completely understand, I am in Florida and this 100 degrees is hot. The PATS system is a tricky problem to fix. Most of the time, we find the key is bad. If you have a second key, try that before spending money at a mechanic. But if you do not have a spare key, you can call a locksmith and have them check it and make new keys for you, which you will need two of if you only have one.