Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford Crown Victoria LX: I just acquired a 1995 Crown Victoria

Customer Question
I just aquired a 1995...
I just aquired a 1995 Crown Victoria LX. None of the the lights or the digital dash are working. The previous owner says it all has to do with the LCM. He says he hooked up the battery backwards. Does the LCM have anything to do with the digital dash?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/28/2015
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Hi. The lighting control module does have some inputs to the cluster. Like turning on the high beam indicator, the door ajar input, trunk ajar input, and seat belt indicator.
But if the cluster itself does not work then that is something different. Hooking up the battery backwards could have damaged the cluster. Or some fuses may have blown, best case scenario.
How can I test the cluster?
There are 2 ways. You can get a scan tool, or bring it to the dealer, that can perform an electrical self test on the instrument cluster. The other way is to remove the cluster and access the electrical connectors. Then check the connectors for power and ground. If the cluster is getting power and ground and it is not working, then it is no good.
Thanks for viewing my response. Do you have any more questions? Thank you and please remember to rate the service provided..
EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician