Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

F150 V6 2.4: 2006 F150 V6 4.2 is shaking violently in idle

Customer Question

2006 F150 V6 4.2 is shaking violently in idle and when accelerating. Seems to run better at 70mph but fuel usage is way up.
I had it tested and codes said it was missing on cyl 1& 4. I've changed plugs, wires and coil and no change. Any suggestions???
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 years ago.
What were the actual trouble codes you were getting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PO174, PO316, PO301
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was one more but unfortunately I left them on the dash and they have faded in the sun
Lets focus on the P0301. It will cause the other two codes.Since you already replaced the plugs, wire and coil, you will need to inspect the fuel injector and do a manual compression test on that cylinder and the other two on that side. A sticking valve in the valve guide and a broken valve spring will cause a miss fire. A manual compression test will tell us if a valve spring is broken or a valve is sticking.