Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford F-150: 2002 F-150 4.6L - Started missing badly. Threw

Customer Question
2002 F-150 4.6L - Started...
2002 F-150 4.6L - Started missing badly. Threw codes PO303 (missire #3)and PO316 (crank position sensor). Replaced #3 COP, fuel injector, spark plug, and replaced Crank Position Sensor. Installed new fuel filter. No vacuum leaks detected. Started it up and it still missed at idle and a little just off idle under acceleration. It then accelerates smoothly and does not miss under load or cruising speed, or WOT. Still misses badly at idle. "Service Engine Soon" light finally came on after about a week. Checked the codes again and it throws the same PO303 and P)316 codes. Help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/26/2015
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 2 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Since you have already replaced the coil, spark plug and fuel injector for #3, you should inspect the basic mechanical parts of the engine. The best thing to do first is to do a manual compression test of #3 and all the cylinders on that side of the engine. They should be ar70 psi on ach cylinder.We have seen valve springs break and valves sticking in the valve guides that can cause miss fires. Also, check the electrical connectors for the coil and the injector for #3 to make sure they are making good contact. Poor contact can cause a miss fire to.
The truck has 136,000 miles on it. Never missed an oil change at each 5,000 miles or less. Pretty sure there are no mechanical problems - doesn't sound or act like a stuck valve or broken valve spring, no signs in the exhaust of a broken or weak piston ring. Cranking shows equal compression on all 8 cylinders. All electrical contacts are sound to #3 C-O-P, spark plug, injector and to the Crank Position Sensor. All check out with an ohm meter. Could it be the PCM?
Do you know about the "Mode $06" scan from the OBD II? Auto Zone suggested looking into that.
Yes. MODE 6 DATA is a table of parameters that the PCM is monitoring, like miss fires per cylinder, 02 sensor voltages, long fuel trims, short fuel trims, EGR percentages, etc....It is basically what the PCM is monitoring while the engine is operating and the minimum and maximum voltages and percentages any sensor should be operating at. You will need the proper computer scan tool to access MODE 6 DATA.I also doubt your problem is caused by the PCM. Also, a properly maintained engine can still have valve train issues. We have seen this ethanol fuel cause all kinds of issues.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician