Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford Mustang GT: 1998 Ford Mustang GT 4.6l DOHC will crank…

Customer Question
1998 Ford Mustang GT 4.6l...
1998 Ford Mustang GT 4.6l DOHC will crank but not start. Replaced spark plugs with carbon build up and EDIC ohm check is 13.31 to 14.05..... Help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/25/2015
Ford Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.What is an EDIC?
The coil packs that are mounted on front of the engine which replaced the old distributor cap system.
Does the theft light come on when you turn the key on? Does it stay on while cranking? Have you checked it for codes?
There are no codes in the memory and the theft goes out when cranking. Tried with alternate key and same thing. No spark is coming thru or is too weak to fire the cylinder
Have you checked for an injector pulse?
Manual says that the ohms should not exceed 11.5 and I register 13.31 to 14.05 when checked with multimeter
The ohms on the injectors do not determine if the pcm will send a pulse to it or if there is power to it.
Injectors are sending fuel to cylinder. Vehicle
Is there an injector pulse?
Didn't do injectors because fuel is coming
How are you determining this?
Replaced the spark plugs and they were coated in fuel.
Engine flooded
DOes your scan tool show an engine RPM while cranking?
No it is not that sophisticated.... Bi am working with old school multimeter
WHen you are checking the resistance on the coil are you getting 14,000 ohms or just 14 ohms?
It is 14,000 since the unit is set to 20k
With all of the information you have provided I think the test results are skewed.
Really I highly doubt two separate multimeters from two different companies showing same numbers are wrong.
I appreciate your time.
Neither of those multimeters checked for an injector pulse and you dont use a multimeter to check for spark.
Im gonna opt out. If you can get me a straight answer on whether or not spark was checked with a spark tester or test light and whether or not an injector pulse was checked I will continue helping. Thanks
No but you can check for resistance in ohms on the coilpack by going between the correlating input points for say spark plugs 8 and 2, 4 and 7, 1 and 6, or 5 and 3. Unless you are saying the manuals recommendation is a lie?
Im not saying its lying. Im saying if the coil is testing good we need to see if its putting out spark or not. Just because the resistance is in spec doesnt mean its being told to fire the plugs.
Understandable but the manual says 7.7 to 11.5. I am getting 13.31 to 14.05.... Is that within tolerance or too much? The old plugs have really bad carbon scoring on them and I was led to believe that is from a weak spark?