HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

F150: Good evening - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - car died last night,

Customer Question

Good evening - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - car died last night, was still using original battery i believe. engine wouldn't turn over, but everything in cab worked. roadside assistance showed up, used a booster kit to try to jump the battery. smoke immediately appeared at the connection point. at that time, he hooked me up to his car. truck would start, shut down as soon as cables were removed. by the time he gave up, i had no power to anything. I replaced the battery today and it started right up. However, the radio will not turn on and the battery light comes on intermittently. i have experienced zero loss or fading of power to any part of my truck when it comes on. I took it to auto zone and they read 12.4 with the engine running (had been running for about 30 minutes at the time). thoughts?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
Its not charging, the battery light is flickering probably due to a weak altenator. It probably worked harder with the older battery keepin it chraged. The battery light usually comes on when there is a problem with the diode trio internal to it. The radio might be related to a blown fuse for it when it was jumpstarted and the spark/smoke happened