Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford Escort: Hey Brian,I have a 99 escort zx2. The a/c

Customer Question
Hey Brian, I have a 99...
Hey Brian,
I have a 99 escort zx2. The a/c compressor will not engage.
-I pulled 2 CCRMs from a salvage yard and neither of them fixed the problem. (took mine apart and the solder looks OK)
-White wire into CCRM only getting .3 volts
-BU/WH and RD getting the same .3 at the CCRM
-I've added coolant, taken coolant out, and replaced the coolant I released with no reaction from compressor.
-Low pressure switch is engaged but only +/- .3 volts at both ends
-High pressure switch is getting 14 volts at only one of the four wires
-Only getting +/- .3 volts at the compressor at both ends( I also tried to jump the compressor from the battery with no success)
-Cooling fan turns on when I disconnect pigtail from thermostat
Thanks for taking the time to look this over and I appreciate any advice!
-Adam M.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/25/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
The 15amp air conditioning fuse under the dash powers the white wire. It should always have battery voltage at this fuse and wire with the key on. Thats the first thing we need to check and address. Also try powering this wire remotely into the back of the connector a the CCRM and let me know those results. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Hey Chris,That was the first thing I checked and it was OK. However, when I checked this time it was blown. I replaced the fuse and now I'm getting a buzzing from the CCRM and when I turn on the a/c the car bogs/cuts off. The car didn't run long enough to see if the compressor activated though. ** I may have sent 14 volts straight from the battery to the ccrm when I tried to jump the compressor(I had a brain lapse and put the hot wire to the pigtail from the compressor instead of directly to the compressor) ** Sorry for the added confusion Chris... Am I looking at two possible problems now? What do you recommend next?
Unplug the compressor, then start the car and command the AC, the CCRM still buzzing and does it stall?
Disconnected compressor and got the same shutoff when I activated a/c. However, im not getting any more noise from the CCRM
Thanks, ***** ***** issue is not related to the compressor then, but is related to the CCRM and the PCM power relay inside it. Remove PCM pin 69 blue/black wire from the connector and retry the stalling issue. This is the ground wire command from the PCM to energize the AC clutch relay in the CCRM.
Thanks for the help this far. Where am I diconecting this wire/pin? At the compressor, ccrm, or pcm? Do I need to splice the wire or is there a way to just pull a pin like you're saying? I want to make sure I've with the right wire so any info to aid in that will be greatly appreciated.
Your removing it from the PCM, you can unlock the pins and remove them, do not cut wires.
Thanks for the clarification. Removed pin 69 from pcm. No more stall. I'm assuming the compressor wasnt supposed to turn on, but still no compressor and still no more noise from CCRM. You seem to be very knowledgable and have been extremely helpful in moving me forward. Since we're on two seperate schedules will you consider telling me what my concerns may be and what I should do next in a what if scenario. I understand if that's asking too much I'm just trying to get my Dad out of the heat. Thanks
Thanks, ***** ***** the diagram I am using.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/99escortAC1.pdfhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/99escortAC2.pdf These signs are pointing to a faulty WAC relay inside the CCRM. When the PCM is grounding the WAC relay to energize the relay and power the compressor it seems that ground is effecting the power to the coil side of this relay causing the PCM relay to trip. What happens if you ground this wire you removed at the PCM with the engine running and the AC commanded on, does it stall, does the relay chatter, does the AC work?
Thanks. I connected a ground to the wire I pulled and didn't notice any changes with car running and ac commanded on. No stall, no chatter, and no compressor.
When you did this wire jumped to ground was there battery voltage at the white wire at the CCRM?