Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

We removed the oil pan tonight after changing phasers

Customer Question
tensioners and guided to find...
We removed the oil pan tonight after changing phasers tensioners and guided to find a excessive amount of front to back movement in the crank I removed the rear main and thrust bearing only to find little to no wear in the bearings where is the play coming
from ? Do you think I can replace the oil pump and get another year out of my truck it's dropping oil pressure after motor warms up like 25 mind of driving dropping to 15-20 psi causing phaser knocking
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2005 f150 5.4 200000 kms
6/24/2015
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 2 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
There has to be some wear in the thrust bearing since that controls endplay. You can replace the engine bearings meains and rods to build additional pressure
There wasn't even a consistant wear ring on the bearings showed and measured little to no wear had engine builder look at them and he felt they were more then fine what else could cause the movement ? And do you think it's worth putting a new high volume oil pump on it
Did you plastigauge the bearing clearance between the caps and crank? Are you sure its not the harmonic balance itself that is moving? How much endplay do you have. More than .010 of an inch
Much more like 1/32 of an inch+ we never plastiguaged them but certain it's not the balancer prayed off a crank lobe
Do you have a picture of the thrust washer bearing? Thats the only thing that governs crank movement
I agree but no I don't have a pic but I swear I had and engine builder look at it and he said it had little to no wear we are all confused as to where the play is coming from were little to no shavings in the oil pan
http://www.modularfords.com/threads/170465-What-Caused-This-Thrust-Bearing-Failure The link above talks about torque convertor ballooning causing thrust bearing wear. That is the most common cause for a loss of oil pressure unless there is wear in the main bearing cap itself that the thrust bearing saddles into
That post didn't realy tell me anything there is only 3 thrust bearing right? On the rear main the post said 4
Yes two upper and one lower on the number 5 rear main bearing cap
Your thoughts on a new oil pump? Bearings show no songs of wear
You can replace the pump but that does not governs endplay
I know that but do you think it would bring the oil pressure back up the bearings all looked great shouldn't be losing pressure there
Yes a new pump will put out more pressure
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans