HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

1989 e150 4.9 liter 6 cyl. stops randomly on hot days.

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
Hello, when it stops running does it start right back up or does it have to sit for a period of time before it will restart? Have you checked to see if you are loosing spark or fuel pressure if it doesnt restart and have you had a diagnostic check for codes done using a scan tool?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when it stops it looses power and then stops. will not start untill it sits for 1/2 hr. or more. it only happens on hot days. engine does not overheat.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
Ok does it have spark and fuel pressure? Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned to on and go out when cranking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it has spark, and i pressed the fuel bleeder valve and gas came out. the check engine light does not come on. it seems to me like it staves for fuel. could it be a vapor lock?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
If the check engine light works when it normally starts but not when it dies you most likely have a bad eec power relay which supplies power to the pcm. A diagnostic check for codes needs to be done with a scan tool to see if the tool can communicate with the powertrain control module or not and see what codes if any are stored
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you; I will go for the diagnostic
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
Very good,if you needf more help please ask. If I was helpful please hit accept and leave some positive feedback so I get credit for helping you