Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford f150: 2005 ford f150 5.4 I have a lack of power at higher

Customer Question
2005 ford f150 5.4 I...
2005 ford f150 5.4 I have a lack of power at higher RPM and codes p0340 p0344
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/22/2015
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 2 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Hello is this a triton 3 valve 5.4 or a 2 valve engine. Did the codes go away after replacing the cam sensors?No other codes?
I reset the CEL after replacing the sensors and within 5 miles both codes were back on and the vehicle still had the same symptoms and yes it is a 3valve engine
Relist: Answer came too late.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Relist: Answer came too late.
my computer was acting up sorry for the confusion
Relist: Other.
I need someone that is available to help me because I am in front of the truck now
Ok does this engine have a lot of mileage and is it full of the correct grade of engine oil and a motorcraft oil filter?
only serviced at the dealer since new so oil grade and type should be correct same goes with filter and it has 114,000 miles no clicking or tapping like they normally do
Ok, most common issues with this engine is a loss of engine oil pressure due to main bearing wear, not where it makes noise but lower pressure. So an oil pressure test should be done to make sure it is in spec. If not it will cause a loss of oil pressure to the variable cam timing phasers and not allow for proper cam timing advance/retard control by the pcm and can cause these codes to store.
what should engine oil pressure be in psi and is it best to measure it at the port by the oil filter
By removing the oil pressure switch near the filter. Minimum oil pressure at idle (engine at normal operating temperature, transmission in park)103 kPa (15 psi) At 2000 rpm hot it should be at least 60 psi
I will check and get back with you in about 30 min thanks
no problem take your time
idle oil pressure is 34psi 2000rpm it is almost 70psi
is there a flow chart on diagnosing vct system
Sorry I thought the 344 was for bank 2, its just the one cmp sensor on bank 1 which is the passenger side, did you change the correct on? Here is the pinpoint test. DR: Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor DR: Introduction DR1 CONTINUOUS MEMORY DTCS P0340, P0344, P0345 AND P0349: CHECK IF THE ENGINE WILL STARTAttempt to start the engine.Does the engine start?YesNoGO to DR2 .RETURN to Section 3 , Symptom Charts for further direction. DR2 CLEAR AND ATTEMPT TO RETRIEVE THE DTCNote: For vehicles with variable camshaft timing (VCT), concerns with the engine oil level, oil filter, oil contamination, or the VCT system may cause camshaft positioning errors.Key ON, engine OFF.Clear the PCM DTCs.Key ON, engine running.Increase engine speed to greater than 1,500 RPM for 10 seconds.Repeat this 3 times.Retrieve the continuous memory DTCs.Are DTCs P0340, P0344, P0345 or P0349 present?YesNoFor continuous memory DTCs P0340 and P0344, GO to DR3 .For continuous memory DTCs P0345 and P0349, GO to DR11 .GO to Z1 . DR3 DETERMINE THE CMP SENSOR PHYSICAL TYPEKey in OFF position.Is the CMP sensor a synchronizer (gear driven) type?YesNoGO to DR4 .GO to DR5 . DR4 VERIFY THE CORRECT INSTALLATION OF THE CMP SENSORA CMP sensor identifies the cylinder 1 power stroke. A sensor that is improperly installed/indexed can identify the wrong cylinder as 1, produce a tip-in hesitation and generate a DTC.Note: If the vehicle has a miss with DTC P0340 or P0344, ignition, alternator noise, RFI and CKP concerns should be considered.Is the CMP sensor installed correctly?YesNoGO to DR5 .INSTALL the CMP sensor correctly.REFER to the Workshop Manual Section 303-14, Electronic Engine Controls for additional information. DR5 DETERMINE THE CMP SENSOR ELECTRONIC TYPENote: The variable reluctance (VR) sensors have 2-wire connectors, Hall-effect sensors have 3-wire connectors.Is the CMP sensor a VR-type?YesNoKey in OFF position.GO to DR6 .The CMP sensor is a Hall-effect type.GO to DR17 . DR6 CONTINUOUS MEMORY DTCS P0340 AND P0344: CHECK THE CMP SENSOR RESISTANCECMP Sensor connector disconnected.Measure the resistance between: ( + ) CMP Sensor Connector, Component Side( - ) CMP Sensor Connector, Component SideCMPSIGRTN VehicleLow LimitHigh LimitLS, Thunderbird 3.9L1,850 Ohms2,850 OhmsF-150300 Ohms425 OhmsAll others250 Ohms1,000 OhmsIs the resistance within specification?YesNoGO to DR7 .INSTALL a new CMP sensor. Clear the PCM DTCs. REPEAT the self-test. DR7 CHECK THE CMP CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE IN THE HARNESSPCM connector disconnected.Key ON, engine OFF.Measure the voltage between: ( + ) CMP Sensor Connector, Harness Side( - ) Vehicle BatteryCMPNegative terminalIs the voltage less than 1 V?YesNoKey in OFF position.GO to DR8 .REPAIR the short circuit. DR8 CHECK THE CMP CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN IN THE HARNESSMeasure the resistance between: ( + ) PCM Connector, Harness Side( - ) CMP Sensor Connector, Harness SideCMPCMPSIGRTNSIGRTNAre the resistances less than 5 ohms?YesNoGO to DR9 .REPAIR the open circuit. DR9 CHECK FOR A SHORT IN THE HARNESS BETWEEN THE PCM AND THE CMP SENSORMeasure the resistance between: ( + ) CMP Sensor Connector, Harness Side( - ) CMP Sensor Connector, Harness SideCMPSIGRTNMeasure the resistance between: ( + ) CMP Sensor Connector, Harness Side( - ) Vehicle BatteryCMPNegative terminalSIGRTNNegative terminalThe measurement can be performed at either the PCM or CMP harness connector.Are the resistances greater than 10K ohms?YesNoGO to DR10 .REPAIR the short circuit. DR10 CHECK THE CMP SENSOR OUTPUTPCM connector connected.CMP Sensor connector disconnected.Digital multimeter on low voltage AC scale.Measure the voltage between: ( + ) CMP Sensor Connector, Component Side( - ) CMP Sensor Connector, Component SideCMPSIGRTNRun the engine at approximately 2,500 RPM.Is the voltage greater than 0.25 V?YesNoFor Expedition,F-150 5.4L,Mustang 4.6L, andNavigator, GO to DR24 .For all others, INSTALL a new PCM.REFER to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM.INSTALL a new CMP sensor DR24 CHECK THE VARIABLE CAMSHAFT TIMING (VCT) SYSTEMNote: Only diagnose the bank indicated by the DTC.Check the VCT system for correct operation.Is a concern present?YesNoREPAIR as necessary.INSTALL a new PCM. REFER to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory
yes I changed them both just did the pinpt tests and have realized that watching the values on my modus the cmp values are always at 0 because the cmp circuit is stuck in open loop due to a stuck phaser confirmed by fuel trim values thank you for your help
Very good! If I was helpful please hit accept and leave some positive feedback
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans