Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

FORD RANGER: I am having trouble with my 2000 ford ranger.....the…

Customer Question
I am having trouble with...
I am having trouble with my 2000 ford ranger.....the brake lights don't work about 90% of the time but the third brake light above the cab works like normal. There is also an issue with the left turn signal working only in the rear but not in the front. I replaced all light bulbs from front to back with no luck. Running light, right turn lights, headlights, and third brake light are all working normally. Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/22/2015
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 2 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Yes you probably have an issue with the multi fdunction turn signal/wiper switch assembly. Remove the steering column covers around the switch ion the column and inspect the two wiring connectors on the multi function switch. Sometimes the connector gets overheated and either melts the connector or some of the pins for the switch push out and arent fully seated in the switch. The rear stop lamps run through the switch, the third brake light runs direct from the brake switch to the third lamp. Moving the steering column up and down can make the brake lights work properly. If the connector is melted, replaced the connector pigtail and the multifunction switch
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans