HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a very weird problem it's a 2010 Ford Fusion that has

Customer Question

I have a very weird problem it's a 2010 Ford Fusion that has randomly shut off 2 times while driving in the past 1 week and the car can be restarted fine no jump start... Then yesterday it shut off and the battery was dead needed to be jumped I tested the alternator and it's charging Maby interminnint? Gonna change the battery cause it's origional any other ideas and possibly the alternator?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
Yes need to be sure the charging system is operating properly if it killed the battery. Other thing that can cause a stall and restart or lack of throttle response is an issue with the fly by wire throttle body.Since the battery went dead any code(s) that ight have been stored may be cleared.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok yes I will Check that and the throttle body had failed like 5 months ago and we put a new one in I will check for codes but other than that no lights have popped up
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
Ok so the throttle body should be ok, not unusual to see an intermittent fault with the charging system. Inspect the electrical connecetions to the altenator and make sure the belt is tight, not slipping.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will check the belt and the alternator do you recommend just changing the alternator?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What else could cause the random stall in your opinion? Possible ground? Isn't there problems with that?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
If the system voltage drops below 9.6 volts due to it not charging it can cause a stall. No known issues with grounds for drivability related concerns