EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Ford Ranger: Im having issues with my compressor engaging.

Customer Question

Im having issues with my compressor engaging. early in the morning when its cool it engages but when its hot outside or the engine is hot ( from what I've observed) the compressor does not want to engage. it is not low on refrigerant and like i said every now and then it engages. Does this have anything to do with being a faulty temp detection?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 years ago.
Hi. The a/c system does not take ambient temperature into consideration when turning on the compressor. Perhaps a relay could be causing this, but that is not likely. What is more likely is the compressor clutch is not engaging at the compressor. Could be worn, or the air gap from the clutch to the pulley is incorrect. What I suggest you do is next time the compressor does not engine, remove the connector from compressor and see if there is actually power there. If there is you know the compressor clutch needs to be replaced. Please respond with any further questions or comments. Thanks.
Thank you for viewing my response. If you have any more questions or comments please ask. Otherwise please rate the service provided and thank you for using Just Answer.