Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

F-150: I have a 2004 F-150 with a 5.4 3v Triton engine and

Customer Question
I have a 2004 F-150...
I have a 2004 F-150 with a 5.4 3v Triton engine and I have a problem. I am replacing the spark plugs and I know all about the problem with the spark plugs breaking because I have broken 2 but the threads on one completely unscrewed and slid out over the porcelain and the plug will not pull out like the other ones did and was wondering if you have as solution on how to get it out.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/20/2015
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
I just looked that up a few days ago for a different customer. Let me see if I can find that post and that tool.
Found it, Lisle (LIS65600) Broken Spark Plug Remover for Ford Triton 3 Valve Engines http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-LIS65600-Broken-Remover-Engines/dp/B00267PZUK
I already have that. This one the spark plug did not break off and slide out and leave the bottom part you use the extractor on to pull out. This one left everything in the hole other than the threads that unscrewed and slid out over the porcelain and left everything in the hole that is stuck and won't pull out.
Can you perhaps take a photo of what it looks like and post it so I can see what you are talking about?
Which threads came out? The threads on the spark plug or the threads in the cylinder head?
Either way, unless all of the threads didn't come out, why can't you just grab the spark plug with some pliers or vise-grips and pull it out?
The threads on the spark plug came out. I compared the one that came out of the plug I am having problems with and one that came out and all of the threads came out. The rest of the plug is just stuck and won't come out. I have been pulling on the plug with pliers many times for a week and it won't budge.
Did you try cranking the engine over or starting the engine for a few seconds and see if the compression will pop it out?
No I still have everything apart. Will it damage anything if I do that and does the valve cover have to be back on to run the engine?
I am not going to say it won't but as long as the spark plug isn't in deeper than normal, I don't believe it will hit the piston. I don't see why not leave the valve cover off. Even if oil does squirt, it should only be a few seconds anyhow, correct.
i guess i will try that after I get everything put back together.
ok
Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician