Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford E350 Van: 1992 E350 7.5L Van. Was idling badly, replaced…

Customer Question
1992 E350 7.5L Van....
1992 E350 7.5L Van. Was idling badly, replaced the idle sensor, and ran like a dream for a week. Took the van through a car wash and instantly started running bad. Replaced the MAP sensor, no change. Replaced the O2 sensor, no change. Replaced the EGR valve and cleaned up the sensor, small change. Every change, we reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery and then driving at 55 for 10 miles. Was initially blowing black smoke and MPG dropped noticeably, now the smoke isn't bad, but still smells like fuel. Today started up and was idling fine, pulled out of parking lot and turn signals went dead and speedometer wasn't working. Transmission did not want to shift, but finally did hard. Got it home, but need to find out what to look at next. Not sure where to start in this diagnosis as it has now spread throughout the vehicle.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
Replaced parts as the codes were indicating. Replaced EGR last weekend and next day it was still running rough and check engine light came on when I put it into reverse was throwing codes 41 & 62 from a KOEO test reading. I am going to check fuses in the morning. I am starting to believe it is an issue with the PCM, the EEC-IV boards for this year are known to have leaking capacitors on the board. But I am stumped at this point and don't want to disrupt the PCM if I don't have to. I am worried taking it out could create another problem. Also thought it was the fuel pressure regulator maybe, it has been warmer the past few days and seemed to be running better but not up to par. But with today's problem, out of ideas. I have to get this repaired this weekend.
Answered in 5 days by:
6/25/2015
Ford Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 3 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
With this many different issues you are right..most times it is a bad PCM. Pull it out and open it up and inspect for bulging capacitors and let me know what you find.
Pcm was in exceptional condition no leakage near components and no bulging capacitors. Husband cleaned up the speed sensor connector hooked everything else back up. Got the turn signals and odometer working. Now just back to a bad idle issue. First 10 sec runs and starts great. When thermostat reads under the C line idles rough almost stalls. Once the needle move a slight fraction off the C line idles fines. Going to change fuel pressure regulator if you think that sounds like symptoms for that part. Only thing left unchanged from emisions and drivability parts is the thermostat sensor.
Engine is running extremely rich. Black smoke and awful fuel smell after driving and while driving if windows are down.