Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford F350 6.0 Diesel: I have a 2005 Ford F350 with a 6.0 Powerstroke…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Ford...
I have a 2005 Ford F350 with a 6.0 Powerstroke diesel. I have had it to 4 different shops and everyone tells me they do not know what the problem is.
The engine has absolutely no power in the low rpm's. The turbo doesn't start to spool up until around 2,000 rpm's. Once it kicks in it sets you back in your seat. The VGT reads normal at 75% at idle and down to 25% at WOT.
The engine has just been 100% bulletproofed. It has new head gaskets, ARP studs, Sinister Diesel oil filter and coolant filter, New Powermax turbo, turbo drain tube, EGR delete, Performance FICM, MAP sensor, EBP sensor, Injector O-rings and dummy plugs, coolant flush and extended life coolant added, HPOP fitting replaced, fuel Blue Spring conversion and a few other little things.
Literally every sensor reads fine at all ranges and loads according to several different mechanics. There is no boost leaks (pressure tested), the turbo spools up fine (no exhaust leaks), the injectors have a nice even power range (#3 is getting a tad bit weak, but is well within specs), and the fuel pressure at WOT never drops below 60.
The only things that haven't been changed are the ICP, IPR the HPOP and the actual injectors. Just about everything else has been replaced since it was already apart. This has been an ongoing issue for weeks and I REALLY need this truck to be able to pull out of an intersection faster than a horse and buggy.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
6/19/2015
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 3 years ago
James, Ford Technician
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Did this just happen after all of this work is done?
The truck started having this issue a few miles before the head gaskets went for good. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or a related problem. I posted a youtube video showing the problem via the tach and boost gauges.
Here is the youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3CUzLzS8eI
Did you have a programmer installed also?
I have access to an SCT X4 tuner, but the problem persists with stock and any aftermarket tuning software. Right now it is in stock configuration.
Thank you for that info. It sounds to me like a restriction of carbon either in the EBP tube or map sensor tube. They would read correctly but cause low boost at the beginning. Then when the pressure got high enough to bypass the restriction it would wake up and drive normally. It's very common for carbon to plug or partially plug the EBP sensor tube down by the manifold. That is what I would suspect as the issue.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
The MAP sensor and hose I just replaced. The inlet in the manifold is clear. A cut clothes hanger slid right in with plenty of room. The EBP sensor was just replaced this morning and the tube was cleaned. I was able to blow shop air through the EBP pipe with it installed on the truck so I know it is open.As for my skill level, I know a good deal about these engines, and I have done many overhauls to other engines gas and diesel. I have a scan gauge and an SCT tuner to be able to monitor most of the sensors. I don't have access to all the fancy computers, but the shops I've taken it to have all scanned it and say that every sensor is registering fine. I'm at a complete loss. Thanks for your help!
Does this vehicle have a mass air flow sensor? If I remember correctly the later years went away from the mass air flow sensor. What are iat1 and iat2 reading with the key on engine off on cold engine?
The iat1 and iat2 both read the same. The MAF sensor reads within specs at low KEO, low idle, and high idle. The veins on the VGT are opening and closing correctly. The ICP and IPR sensors are reading fine, the desired back pressure and actual back pressure under WOT are the same. I've disconnected the cat to see if there is a back pressure issue, but everything appears to be working as normal. It almost has to be a mechanical issue, but there isn't a leak in the CAC - I did a 25 PSI pressure test - and there aren't any exhaust leaks. Is there anything mechanical that I'm missing?
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
Is this an OEM replacement turbo?
Hello how are you?
I wanted to check in and see if you have any other questions?
Please rate my answer so I can receive my compensation for helping you.