James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Ford f250 powerstroke: I have a 2002 ford power stroke aug

Customer Question

I have a 2002 ford power stroke aug trans 4x4. Last winter it wasn't plugged in and failed to start so we jumped it. Immediately afterward when put in reverse it died, also when lights are turned on it dies and will not even activate the starter with lights on. I put a light on the dash that actually turns on when glow plugs are getting voltage. This light does not come on until the engine is cranked or the key is moved past run and nearly to start position. The pcm is grounding the relay switch but until the key is rotated past run it will not supply 12 volts to the other small lug on the relay. So far we have replaced the pcm, cps,and ignition switch. Last night I decided to see if the engine would run in reverse with the bulbs removed from the rear lenses, it was running when I pulled the right bulb but died immediately when I pulled the left back up bulb out. This was with the rig in park. I've been told it is probably a ground issue and have cleaned all the grounds that I can find. I have worked on vehicles for thirty five years and this one has me stumped. Help!!!! Pat
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Have you performed a voltage drop test of the positive and negative cables? Did you try swapping the pcM with a different relay, did you try swapping out or testing the pcm diode?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you read the question? I did swap out the pcm!! It is not a voltage issue. I can run heater,air conditioner and no problem, when you put it in reverse it dies. I don't need bullshit answers, please read the question and point me in the right direction. I am not satisfied with the first answer if you don't have any idea just say so.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
PcM power relay you swapped out not the actual pcM?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
How about testing the cables with a voltage drop test?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That was done, there is no voltage drop on the cables or very little anyway. The lights work fine and it cranks fine, it will not crank with the lights on and will die when running and they are turned on. As stated in the original question it will die when put in reverse or when the lights are turned on. It will also die if you take the back up bulbs out. Very weird problem. Doesn't appear that you have experienced an issue like this.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Ther are various issues that can cause this. One is if the torque converter clutch is stuck on you can have this issue. Low transmission fluid can cause this issue. These are two concerns related to the transmission I have seen. The other issue I have seen is chaffing on the main engine wire harness by the driver side valve cover. When the engine shifts from the torque it can short out the input signals causing the vehicle stall. These are the couple items I have seen cause this issue.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have worked on all type of vehicles for years, the torque converter is not locked up. It is not stalling, it is losing the voltage to the electronic injectors. I'm sure it is an electrical issue but the wiring harness all ohms correctly. Your rating will depend on your helpfulness, so far I'm still at ground zero with this. Pat
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Ok I am trying to help but I am limited since I can't see the vehicle. You didn't mention anything about a wiring chaffing. It makes it difficult since you seem to have done more than previously stated. You have shot down every idea I have attempted to start with. I will opt out so another expert can assist you. Hopefully they can be more helpful. There is no need to rate me as I would just rate the expert who comes into assist you.