Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Is there now a Ford recall bolts breaking off?What is the best…

Customer Question
Is there now a Ford...
Is there now a Ford recall for lug bolts breaking off?
What is the best fix?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
6/18/2015
Ford Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 3 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,
The only recall on this vehicle for wheels/tires/lugs was the one for the Firestone tires years ago.
The lug studs usually break due to one of two things -
lug nuts not tightened enough and wheel moves some which causes the metal of the rim where the lugs go thru, to shear the lug studs off. If they sheared off clean and about even with the rim where they go thru, this is what happened.
The other cause is the opposite - constant overtightening of the lug nuts by not using the proper torque stick or torque wrench. This stretches the studs over time and they finally break.
To replace them, you have to remove the hub assembly and press the broken ones out and press in the new ones, or use a hammer to beat them out and use a hammer to beat the new ones in.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks