Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford F250 Super Duty: 99 7.3L powerstroke starts easily but…

Customer Question
99 7.3L powerstroke starts easily...
99 7.3L powerstroke starts easily but when accelerating the engines stalls. After engine sits for a while it will restart. If you let it warm up 5 to 10 min after first starting it runs just fine. Problem comes back it engine sits for 4 or 5 hours. Changed cam position sensor and injection pressure control sensor with no help. Any ideas what could be causing this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/17/2015
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
James, Ford Technician
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. When you went to change the icp sensor was there oil in the old sensor? How long after the vehicle is driven does it stall?

as soon as you try to accerate quickly

it stalls as soon as you try to accerate and reach around 1500 to 2000 rmp

Did the the old icp sensor have oil in it? Do you have a chip or programmer installed?

It did have some oil, and does not have a chip.

It sounds like the throttle pedal is likely bad if it's quiting when you step on it. Do you have a way to test for codes?

I am not having a problem starting the engine. I am only having an issue when it is not warmed up. Both batteries are relatively new and i am not sure why you say there could be an issue with the starter when it starts easily.

I'm sorry I edited that because it was meant for someone else. It shouldn't still be up there. If it is I'm sorry. The last thing I posted was I believe your throttle pedal may very well be the issue. Do you have a way to test for codes?

I can check the throttle, I have checked codes and there none that come up.

Do you have you vin number and I can check to see if there are any open recalls.
vin # ***** *****
This morning when I started the truck I let warm up for 5 minutes and did not ave any issue with it stalling out. I do not see any signs of wear on the throttle. The only time this problem comes up is when I start it in the morning or after sitting several hours.
It stalls when you step on the pedal correct? When it will stall anyways?
It only stalls under acceleration after it is first started up, once it warms for a while the problem goes away.
Does you scan tool monitor data like the app 1 and app2?
James, Ford Technician