Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford focus: I just replaced the ignition coil on my 02 ford

Customer Question
I just replaced the ignition...
I just replaced the ignition coil on my 02 ford focus,and it is mis firing like crazy,put wires on as they were,and it ran fine for a few days.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/17/2015
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Hi there,Is the check engine light on and if so do you know what codes are being stored?
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I apologize, I don't do the live phone calls because I am very hard of hearing.I can open this up for another expert if you prefer.Let me know.
I don't have the luxury of a tester right now,can't drive the car to auto parts store or garage.
It's ok, I was just wondering if the light was on or not.Couple ideas that might be causing the problem.First, if the engine is idling rough, take some carb cleaner and spray it along the intake with the engine running. If the idle smooths out or increases in speed, then you have an intake leak. Check the hose to the pcv valve very closely. Sometimes they crack and create a vacuum leak. This will cause misfiring.Secondly, check your catalytic converter. Take the top O2 sensor out and see if the performance increases. This will make the car very loud, but if the converter is plugging up, it will give the exhaust a place to go. If it runs better, then the converter is the problem.Water in the fuel could be the problem, take a sample of your fuel. Put some in a glass jar and give it some time to separate.Finally, the coil you installed might have gone bad already. If it was aftermarket I would not put it past it and it can make you chase your tail when you have this kind of problem. Since the car ran good for a few days, it is very possible.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician