Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

F250: I have a 2002 f 250 7. 3 diesel the alternator is not…

Customer Question
I have a 2002 f...
I have a 2002 f 250 7. 3 diesel the alternator is not charging the battery I have a orange and a green wire in the back of the alternator showing voltage even when the key is in the off position
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/17/2015
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 2 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Hello, the orange/light blue wire should be hot all the time, the green/red should only be hot with the key on or in run, that wire is the power supply from the instrument cluster battery indicator. The large battery cable should be hot all the time. Long as they are hot when running it should be charging so it sounds like you have a defective altenator
Yes both those wires to the regulator should be hot when running
They're hot all the time
even with it unplugged from the altenator?
Yes
Ok strip the harness back a bit only the orange wire is hot all the time or you can pull the F2. 45 fuse in the central junction box. that should kill power on the green wire unles it is melted together in the harness loom
Do you by chance have a fuse schematic?
Are you saying with them both hot it's preventing the alternator from charging
here is the altenator circuitIt shouldnt both be hot with the key off just the one, the fused one is hot with key on or running. if the two wires are melted together in the loom it can cause a voltage drop and lack of charging
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans