Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

Ford super duty: 2008 ford super duty diesel. wrench light

Customer Question

2008 ford super duty diesel. wrench light comes on when pulling 5th wheel. Has not happened in the past years. Light does not appear when trailer is not in tow.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is Scott
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Has the computer been tested for trouble codes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband took it in. I know they ran a diagnostic. Everything came back fine. They flushed it hoping that was what was needed. BUT we hooked up the trailer. at 65 mph after 10 minutes the light came on. We stopped. Waited 3 miinutes started up, no light, but 5 minutes later on again.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
What did they flush, cooling system?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the code?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The bill states auto flush 12.0 ATF lube guard 1 atf additive What code?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The dash shows a 'wrench' shape.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Whenever the wrench light comes on, a code is set in the computer, do you have this code?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I get that code?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
It has to be retrieved with a scan tool.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
The dealer should have a copy of the code.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. So that means the dealership has to scan for the code.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
I would assume they already have it since they sold you a transmission flush. I would call them and ask them for the code(s).
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
When the wrench light comes on there are quite a few possibilities, that is why I want the code so I can help narrow down to the concern.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The scan came back with nothing wrong.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just called the place where the diagnostic was run to ask if a code showed up. I have to call back tomorrow morning at 8 for the manager who did it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Once I have the code I can connect back with this website? correct?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, once you get the code I can give you a more definitive answer, just reply to this question and the system will let me know when I get back online, I am online at nights.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will not get it until tomorrow morning. So I will check back then.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Ok sounds good, thanks Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I called the service this morning that did the diagnostic. There was no code that showed up. They ran 3 different test and all came back fine with no codes.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Was this a Ford dealer?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
If the wrench light came on there would be a code set, I suspect they didn't note or write down the code since there is no record. Since the wrench light came on while towing and they flushed the transmission, I suspect maybe the transmission fluid is getting too hot? Or there could be a TFT transmission fluid temperature sensor that is reading out of range.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
I would first check the radiator fins for dirt or debris, look down in between the radiator and the coolers and see if there is a bunch of debris restrcting the airflow across the radiator. Let me know what you see, thanks Scott