Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

F250 XL gas: Looking with a 2011 F250 XL gas with

Customer Question
Looking for help with a...
Looking for help with a 2011 F250 XL gas with a rear passenger light issue. Light flashes with alarm and running lights work. Directional, hazard, and break do not work.
All fuses are good. Harness to rear lights replaced still no go. I swapped the relays in the engine fuse box still no go. I removed multi switch and it looks like it is making connection inside.
Any assistance would be fantastic.
Thomas
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/11/2015
Ford Mechanic: chris, Ford Mechanic replied 2 years ago
chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
so it looks like the right rear brake/turn lamp is inop , but it works fine with alarm going off and the parking lamp in that lens also works ,
-
on this year truck it is a very complex system , when you use the right turn signal , a signal is sent to the SCCM and the SCCM sends a signal to the BCM and then the BCM has internial relays that send power to the right rear lamp ,
-
since the right front lamp works ok , then we know the turn signal switch and the SCCM is ok , so the problem may lie in the BCM, witch is your interior fuse panel ,
-
also if there is a problem with that wire that runs to the r/r lamp like it was shorted to ground , then the BCM will turn off the relay for the r/r lamp and not send power on it ,
-
so with all that said , we have to start at the BCM , witch is your interior fuse panel located in the right kick panel, at the top center of the BCM there is a very big conector to the fuse box , in this connector is the wire for the r/r tail lamp , its violet/orange ,, turn the truck on , turn the right turn signal on and probe this wire with a test lamp and see if its flashing with power
-
if it is then we have an open on this wire from the BCM to the tail lamp ,
-
if its not then we could have a bad BCM
-
tell me what you find
-
Chris
Thank you Chris.I tested the violet/orange wire with signal on and truck running. Probe lights up solid not flashing.
OK, IF YOU TESTED that wire at the BCM, and it was not flashing then you need a new BCM,,, a new BCM has to be programmed, so this is a dealer thing, you can replace it yourself and then bring it to the dealer to have it programmed,
-
Chris
Thank you Chris.The solid light indicates bad BCM? Will look for replacement BCM. Then go get it programmed.Thank you.
OK, GOOD LUCK
chris
chris
chris, Ford Mechanic