Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Aerostar XLT 3.0 V6: A lady down the street has a 89 Ford aerostar…

Customer Question
A lady down the street...
A lady down the street has a 89 Ford aerostar xlt with a 3.0 v6. Said it wont start and asked me to take a look at it. Her nephew had done a few things to it prior to me looking at it, he replaced the cap, rotor, the fuel filter and checked for fuel pressure coming from the fuel pump . So far i have tested spark at the ignition coil and at each of the plugs it was weak so i suggested new plugs. turn the key and nothing. so she tells me about the electronic fuel pump inertia switch she had come across in the manual. So i check that out it wasnt tripped but the contacts looked pretty worn. i tried a shot of starter fluid in the manifold and got it to turn over more than one revolution. I pulled the inertia switch and put a set of test leads on there and with another shot of starter fluid i got it to start up and run for about a min maybe min and a half. i turned it off and figured it was just the inertia switch. well a day goes by and i grabbed a new switch from the local dealer and installed it. I turn the key and i get nothing. it turns over fine just doesnt fire up. So then i test for voltage. i have 12.37 from the battery which has gone down a lil from being charged a few days prior. I tested voltage at the fuel pump relay and that came up 12.35. then at the inertia switch which came 12.07. I am now at a lose and not sure where to look next... any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
6/11/2015
Ford Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. How long has the car been sitting ? And do you know history of the car ? How and when it failed ? And how many miles are on it ?

From my understanding it's sat for the past two months. I don't know much about it except that it usually sits for about a week or two between uses. It's an elderly lady that owns it. She can't afford a towing or shop/technician fees so she asked if I could help. I just don't know much about the vehicle so the usual no start fixes haven't worked for me. As for mileage I'm unsure... my guess is somewhere around 156k. She's owned it since 90' and claims to not drive it much.

ok, so do you have fuel pressure? can you hear the pump running? does it still run off of starter fluid. ? we need to narrow down fuel or spark, so far sounds like fuel, listen near the tank while somoeone cranks to see if you hear the fuel pump running.

When I turn the key I do hear the fuel pump humming and the click at the relay. Since I tested the spark at the coil and plugs and got spark(which was weak, hence the new plugs) So I thought I'd try to shoot starter fluid in the intake and it ran for about a min but I had jumped the circuit at the inertia switch while doing this which lead me to believe it was the switch. I haven't tested for fuel pressure at the rail yet cause I don't have a gauge.

Ok , inertia switches are rare. And if it was the switch it should have kept running. If no gauge then press the valve on the rail and make sure it's getting gas at the rail at least. And while key is turned on it should spray out gas. Not dribble out. And weak spark is a cool issue not plugs. Plugs simply transfer the spark. But spark is better than no spark. If it runs off of starter fluid then sounds like a fuel issue. Verify fuel pressure of any kind and also add 2 gallons of gas. Sensor could be bad and they are simply out of gas. Let me know. Lou.

Okay so I added two gallons of gas. I also pressed the valve on the fuel rail, it sprayed at first, then dripped out. I did this while the key was on.

ok so fuel is gettin up there so far so good. now crank it while holding the valve and see if it continues to spray