John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles
33610027

F250-4x4 Diesel: I have a 2004 f250 4x4 diesel w/ 85,000 miles

Customer Question

I have a 2004 f250 4x4 diesel w/ 85,000 miles on it. It started losing power at 60 mph and black smoke coming out. I petted it to make it home. Without trailer it seems fine.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Crouch replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question.
Since it runs poorly when hooked up to a load, I would have to guess that it may be a fuel delivery concern. If the fuel filters have not been changed in the last 10-15,000 miles, change them. Also take a look at the air filter. Other than that, you will need to hook up a scan tool and check for any stored codes and monitor pids while it is running bad to determine what is going on and how to go about correcting the problem.
If you need more information or have more questions, just respond and I will reply just as soon as I can.
Once again, thank you for using Just Answer and have a great day.