HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Ford Windstar: I have a 2003 Ford Windstar and the battery

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Ford Windstar and the battery died. Ran a scanner on it and came it came up with just 16. No explanation. I don't think it's the battery or the alternator. Looked on line and someone said that the PATS wasn't communicating with the PCM. Is it a fuse?
I am also having trouble with the speedometer cluster which will need to be replaced but ran fine - had the scanner connected to check speed and drove over 500 miles with it. Was careful to be sure it was not connected when van was shut down.
What is causing my battery to drain?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
Hello, a code 16 in the PCM? What kind of scanner are you using? PCM codes are Pxxxx with the xxx being a series of numbers. Runs ok and no battery light is on? Newer battery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OBDII software on laptop, older battery, no battery light on.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I dont know what the definition of code 16 is via the type of scan tool software you are using. Long as the battery light is off and the altenator is charging. I would suspect either an issue with one of the door ajar switches stuck and causing either an interior light to stay on or something else is causing a parasitic draw. Which if that is the case you would have to do an amp draw test which can be a pain because of the number of computer control modules in the vehicle. They have to enter a sleep mode in order to properly test for draw. This take a half hour to 45 minutes for the modules to enter sleep mode and test the actual draw.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, I would have to take this into a Ford dealership?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
Not if you have a digital volt/ohm/amp meter. you have to hook up an ammeter in series between the negative battery terminal and negative cable. remove fuses from the fuse block after it enters sleep mode, the ammeter will show a draw up to a haf hour to 45 mins and drop to a base draw which should be no more than .05 amps. Here is a video on youtube that gets in depth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have digital volt meter or can get one - we will be looking at this the next hour. This will help tremendously I hope!
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
No problem, still dont know what code 16 is, your scan tool should have a library for definition of codes. Just remember it will take up to 45 minutes to enter sleep mode and record the actual draw if any. If I was helpful pleas ehit accept and leave a positive rating. If you need more help just continue replying to this question. Thank you!
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
hello, do you need more help with this concern?