Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Windstar: 3of the four power windows in my 2003 ford windstar

Customer Question
3of the four power windows...
3of the four power windows in my 2003 ford windstar do not work as well as the power mirrir adj. switch----thanks claud
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/9/2015
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Do you have a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light?
If so, are you willing to do some tests?
NO
THE WINDOWS AND THE MIRROR ADJUSTMENT SWITCH DOES NOT WORK. I DO NOT HEAR ANY CLICKING NOISES WHEN I PRESS THE CONTROL BUTTONS
Go out and purchase a $4 test light and then get back to me.
I don't want to appear blunt but just replacing parts isn't the way I would approach this, so I would like for you be to agree to do some testing first and find out what is wrong. I voltmeter might even be better and a small multi-meter might only cost $5 or so and can be purchased almost anywhere even places like lowes and homedepot.
YES, I HAVE THE METER
I HAVE THE VOLT METER
Ok, exactly which don't work?
MIKE, I AM 81 YEARS OLD AND AM ON A FIXED INCOME SO I CAN NOT TAKE MY CAR TO SHOP. I HAVE NOT TESTED ANY THING BECAUSE I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO TEST. MAYBE I SHOULD JUST GIVE UP ON THIS PROBLEM AND LIVE WITH IT-----THANKS CLAUD
That is up to you, but you could have just answered which don't work?
You said 3 of the 4 power windows don't work. I wanted to know which 3 don't work or which one is the only one that works.
THE ONLY POWER WINDOW THAT WORKS IS THE PASSENGER WINDOW
I assume that means the passenger front.
Replace the fuse #18 in the central junction block and test the windows again.
The central junction block is the fuse block or panel located below and to the left of the steering wheel by the brake pedal. Remove the panel cover to access the fuses.
YES IT MEANS PASSENGER FRONT. CHANGING FUSE #18 DID NOT CURE THE PROBLEM
Well, I took a shot since it appeared from the wiring diagram that might work.
Are you ready to do some testing then?
YES
Ok, first thing is first. Using the voltmeter check those fuses again using the voltmeter if you didn't already. I will get you the wiring diagram in just a second. Then you will have to gain access to the switches in order to test them if it isn't a fuse that doesn't have power or the relay.
OK
Here is the wiring diagram. If you don't know how to read it or how to use the voltmeter or exactly what to test, ask me.
If that fuse 318 doesn't have voltage, check that #106 fuse in the battery or under hood fuse block and if it has power not blown, replace that accessory delay relay unless of course you want to test it first.
In case you need the Accessory Delay Relay, parts geek sells it for $9.42 but I am sure it is available almost anywhere. It fits 1995-2003 Windstars.
That was supposed to say #18 fuse, not 318 fuse.
Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician