Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ranger: I have 1991 ford ranger is idling rough after warm

Customer Question
I have 1991 ford ranger...
I have 1991 ford ranger is idling rough after warm up and the tachometer and temperature gauges work but show low readings. I have been working on it for a while. It gives a check engine light and a code 18 and 88. I have made these repairs: new crankshaft position sensor, ignition control module, new coil packs and condensers, new temperature sending units, cleaned all the ground connections.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/9/2015
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In some cases this type of fault here is caused by incorrect fuel injectors atomizing improperly.If you can tell me the liter engine in this model here I can further see if we can pinpoint the cause just let me know.
Thanks Pete

I have a 2.3l automatic it starts and runs. It gets up and runs fine when driving. It idles well when cold but runs so rough at idle it feels like it's going to shake the doors open after it warms up.

Code 88 indicates a fault with coil pack #4.Check the wiring and wiring connection to this coil and make sure there is no damage needing repaired to correct this here.Code 18 indicates an ignition circuit open or shorted,this can also be due to engine wiring fault on the engine.Inspect the coil wiring and engine wiring harness for any shorts or damage and if an issue is found repair it as needed.
If this is checked and found o.k. let me know.
Thanks Pete

I only find 2 coil packs. One on the exhaust and one on the intake are these split? I did a visual on the exposed wires and didnt see any damage is there any way to test these without pulling off the heat wrap?

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete

only find 2 coil packs. One on the exhaust and one on the intake are these split? I did a visual on the exposed wires and didnt see any damage is there any way to test these without pulling off the heat wrap?

I apologize for the delay.
If you wiggle the engine wiring harness at the coils and leading to them while the engine is running poorly does the engine change speed at all or stall out?
Pete, Auto Service Technician