Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

What causes hesitation while driving. It has no check engine

Customer Question
light on....
What causes hesitation while driving. It has no check engine light on.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/8/2015
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.I apologize for any delay.
A dirty mass air flow sensor will cause this as well as low fuel volume due to a weak fuel pump or restricted fuel filter.These are the most common causes.
If you can tell me the year,make and model of your vehicle as well as engine size this will help.
Thanks Pete
2006 ford f150 lariat
5.4
O.k.,since this didn't trigger a check engine light the most common cause is the mass air flow sensor.It can become dirty and in some cases can be removed and cleaned to correct this fault by purchasing mass air flow sensor cleaner from a local parts store and in other cases it has to be replaced.The computer will see the false air flow signal from this sensor and think that the signal is the correct signal so it won't turn on the check engine light but does cause hesitation like this here.
Your mass air flow sensor should be located inside the engine air filter box and has two screws holding it in place that need removed to access and replace it.
Thanks Pete
Pete, Auto Service Technician