Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford F150 2014: 2014 F150 extended cab 5.0 liter. Noise/ vibration…

Customer Question
2014 F150 extended cab 5.0...
2014 F150 extended cab 5.0 liter. Noise/ vibration in the area of torque converter heard with lost of traction or slow torqueing on a hill. TCS can be turned off with no difference. Dealer said related to abs brakes, I am not convinced that is the cause. Others with the same truck have not experienced this.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
6/7/2015
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Is this noise heard during a 5 to 3 gear downshift?
no its heard while pulling out
Pulling out of what?
when I loose traction, snow, gravel mud when wheel spins
I'm sorry, I will have to pot out because I don't know what is causing it.
What does that actually mean, will I hear from someone else?
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Can you do your best to describe the noise?
With the current information I believe you are describing an issue with the rear axle limited slip clutches chattering. Often perceived as a noise/feeling from the front of the vehicle. It can only be this if your turning and only up to 15 mph.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
thanks chris this truck has an electric locker in the rear axle which is not engaged at the time of the noise. I am not in a turn when it happens . straight ahead will cause the sound. It has a standard differential. In a previous 2011 truck I had the locking diff problem that you described and that was corrected with an oil slinger and oil additive by the dealer. this occurs when the rear wheel slips or slowly trying to gain traction on lose material even before the wheel breaks lose. The truck is in 2wh drive and the locker is not engaged. It sounds like a growling noise/vibration coming from the front of the transmission or possibly the torque converter.My son is a ford trained tech working for himself now .He has and tried to help diagnose for me .Not sure but sounds like the area of the torque converter.Hope this helps.
If it were the torque converter having a broken fin, I would suspect it to be making a noise even when not slipping on of the rear wheels. A converter will make a rattle noise like dragging a putty knife across a 6 pack of coke, like a click, tap dull metal clanging noise.
Have you thought about maybe the exhaust rattling under this particular load, from the driveline and engine and trans twisting?
Can you duplicate this on high traction surfaces, or by brake torqueing?
Chris doesn't seem to occur when wheel brake torqueing Have heard it before wheel actually spins while on steeper banks when trying to pullout slowly on lose material.
It may be best to compare this to another identical vehicle to see if it occurs on that one as well. Its possible to be a characteristic of the vehicle. I do not know what else I can offer being I can not hear it nor experience it.
Thanks for your excellent effort I will give you a five star for your efforts and trouble. I realsie it is hard to trouble shoot unseen, thanks again have nice weekend
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician