Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Freestar: I have a 3004 freestar with an ignition key that…

Customer Question
I have a 3004 freestar...
I have a 3004 freestar with an ignition key that will not turn. What do I do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
6/7/2015
Ford Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 3 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,
Ok, there are a few possible causes - broken tumbler inside the ignition lock cylinder, sticking tumbler, or not in park all the way.
So, first try rocking the vehicle back and forth, which will make sure the vehicle is in park and will place it in park if the park neutral switch is sticking. Then try to turn the key.
If it wont turn, then using a hammer, GENTLY tap around the ignition lock cylinder as you try to turn the key. If the tumblers are sticking, this works like a charm to unstick them. If it works, then first chance you get, go by a hardware store and get some spray graphite and spray into the lock cylinder and work key back and forth several times. This will prevent it from happening again.
If none of the above works, then unfortunately there is a broken tumbler and the ignition lock cylinder will require replacement
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks