Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford f250: I'm being told my def is contaminated I just don't…

Customer Question
I'm being told my def...
I'm being told my def is contaminated I just don't see how that is so. If it is the case what is the fix. Why can't it be a faulty sensor? BW Yarbrough
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
6/7/2015
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 3 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with your concerns.
It can be a faulty sensor. Was the DEF fluid tested? We use a DEF fluid testing kit to test the fluid. If the test shows there is contamination, then we replace the fluid and do the repairs as needed. If the fluid is good, we replace the sensor.
It can be contaminated in many ways. Tampering, if filled at a pump then it could be at that station, Diesel put into the wrong filler, etc. I've had people buy new DEF in the box and someone put antifreeze in the DEF at the store.
If you didn't test it with a DEF test kit, do that first. All technicians working on Diesel engines in today's market should have one of these,
http://www.otctools.com/sites/default/files/autoserviceprofessional_otcdefrefractometerreview_july-august2013.pdf
I see you viewed this. Is there anything else I can assist you with in regards ***** ***** matter?