Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ranger: Is it possible fluid to mix with oil

Customer Question
Is it possible for transmission...
Is it possible for transmission fluid to mix with oil due to a radiator issue? 94 Ford Ranger 4.0 automatic.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
6/6/2015
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 3 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concern today. Please rate my assistance after we have concluded chatting.
Hi. It is not possible for transmission fluid to mix with engine oil. It is possible for transmission fluid to mix with coolant due to a leaking trans cooler, which is part of the radiator. You may also have an external trans cooler in front of the radiator. If your vehicle is 4wd you could be loosing trans fluid out the rear extension housing of the transmission and it can overfill the transfer case. Check if the transfer case is overfilled with fluid.
Nope, Some how atf is getting into oil. Front seal? atf lines on one side of radiator and oil lines on other. 2wd.
On the radiator for your Ranger there is only transmission cooler lines.
Front seal on transmission.
????? Getting in somewhere
It is possible that fluid can leak from the front seal of the transmission. There would be signs of fluid leaking from the bellhousing area.
Yeah that's the stupid part, never a drop under the truck. Any other conceivable explanation?
We're not talking a little bit of fluid, quarts.
There is no other explanation. If you are loosing quarts it would be on the ground. Are you checking the fluid level correctly? Can you explain to me how you are checking it?
I know I sound like a dumbass but I am not.. A quart of atf every hundred miles without any visible leak ever.Only my oil needs to be changed every two weeks because it is full of f''''''''g atf. Every quart I put in winds up in the oil.Been working on my own vehicles for thirty years, I know how to check my fluids. I wouldn't have spent $25.00 bucks if this was an easy question. Would you like me to send you pictures of the dipstick? I'm not a housewife with my head up my ass and I'm not thrilled with the tone of your last comment.
I dont know how you can tell tone over the internet but ok. I will opt-out of this question and put it back to the list. Maybe someone else wants to work with you. Good luck.
Expert??? what a waste of time...Spell check is free by the way...
Ford Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 3 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.The only thing that could cause this is a bad modulator on the transmission. If its leaking it will vacuum fluid right up out of the transmission into the intake and if its leaking bad enough and filling the cylinders the atf will work its way past the rings into the engine and mix with the oil.Let me know if you need anything further and if not please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thanks
Also please keep in mind with two experts here to rate MY service and not the previous expert as I only get credit if you properly rate my service. Thank you. I will be standing by if you need anything further.
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner