Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford mustang gt: I recharge the ac system on a 2000 ford

Customer Question
I recharged the ac system...

I recharged the ac system on a 2000 ford mustang. The ac clutch is not engaging. I changed the high pressure switch and low pressure switch. When I have a little freon in the system, it works fine but blow warm air. I put more freon in it and the clutch doesn't work anymore. I check for voltage at the low pressure switch and there is 13.73 volts. I checked the 4 pins on the high pressure switch and one set was have positive and negative with the ac off and when the ac was on. There were 2 sets of power. I checked all fuses and relays. When i unplug the high pressure switch and plug ot back ot, the clutch engages for a few seconds and turns off. The same thing happens when i do it to the low pressure switch. Checked voltage at condensor. I'm lost now.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
6/6/2015
Ford Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more.this is a unusual issue , give me a few minutes to go over your story and a diagram ok?

Ok

Ok so let me ask a few questions to get on the same page. Have you bypassed the switches ? Using a jumper wire ?
If you have then here are the two issues , a CCM located behind the coolant reservoir , it's the module that controls the clutch , or a bad compressor with clutch that is pulling more amperage than it should causing the CCM to kill the clutch actuation. So let me know about the questions I asked.

I used the jumper and the clutch engages for a few seconds and turns off again.

Locate the CCM behind the reservoir. Here is the test procedure for your issue. Tests/Procedures: 1. Use a voltmeter to check the voltage on pin 22 Pink/Yellow (PK/YE) to see if it reads battery voltage with the engine running and the A/C turned on. 2. If pin 22 is battery voltage indicating the Wide Open Throttle A/C (WAC) relay is not being grounded to turn the A/C off, and battery voltage is present on pin 21 Dark Green/Orange (DG/OG), check for battery voltage out of the module on pin 23 Black/Yellow (BK/YE). 3. If battery voltage is not present on pin 23, use a suitable jumper wire to connect pin 21 to pin 23 to make the A/C clutch run. If it runs, use an inductive amp probe to check the current draw of the A/C clutch, looking for less than 6A. If the clutch runs with a current draw of less than 6A, replace the faulty CCRM. If the current draw is more than 6A, replace the A/C clutch along with the faulty CCRM. 4. If the clutch won't run when jumping pin 21 to 23, try using a jumper wire to bypass the low pressure switch and high pressure switch one at a time to rule out a bad switch.Let me know if this helps. I am here to help. Try jumping the switches first just to make sure it's not a bad switch or wiring to the switch. The CCM is the most common issue with ac issues, it's just weird that your clutch works with low freon making me think the clutch may be bad causing too high amperage draw when the freon is full. Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉

f it was a ccm, why would the clutch and compressor work perfect with a little freon? Also how to I bypass the 4 wire high pressure switch? Where is ccm located?

What reservoir is it behind?

Sorry for delay. Coolant reservoir. And like I have said , the added freon may make the clutch pull too many Amps causing it to cut out , I'll check the diagram for the high switch

I don't have a ccm behind the reservoir

Ok on the high pressure switch , the dark brown wire with the yellow line and the dark green wire with the orange line are the lines to jump. The other two are for the fan.
Ok let me double check the location.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/4zj8sx5gw7dyi7s
Copy and paste that. Sorry about the location. Hope this information helps from the steps I have given you , if you follow them you will find the culprit. Hope this information helps

So the ccm is located under the fender on the passage side. I just tried to jump those wires you told me and the clutch still didn't engage.

Ok did the wires have power ? With a test light?

I have to remove the fender tomorrow

No you don't have to remove the fender. It's on a bracket. But let's stick with the switches for now. Ok. You don't need the car running just turn the key on. Turn knob to ac and jump the low switch. and the high switch and listen for the compressor clutch to click. Also check to make sure there is power at both the switches before and during the jump
I will check back in the morning. It's late here in Illinois. Also the CCM may be located near the radiator on the passenger side. The system is showing me so many variations so sorry , I will check back in the morning. Lou

There is no dark brown wire with the yellow line on the high pressure switch

It's dark blue. Sorry the wiring diagrams for this are really terrible.

When I jump those wires, nothing happens

Ok. Did you find the module yet
Ok so if you jump the terminals then the compressor does not run you need to locate the ccm and do the test I had instructed you to do. The most common issue that I see is the module has failed. That or the clutch if it is pulling too many amps. Hope this information helps , I will be more available later tonight to assist. Maybe we can chat on the phone to get this wrapped up for you. Let me know.