Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford: what is the torque specifications pinion

Customer Question
what is the torque specifications...
what is the torque specifications for the pinion nut on my 2003 ford f150 4x4
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
6/5/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
There is not a torque spec per say its a rotational spec. Open the file below.
If replacing the pinion seal
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/03F150flange.pdf
If your building the axle see step 14 under installation
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/03f150ring%20andpinion.pdf
Below are the specs
These are for the 8.8, the 9.75 and 10.25 axle options are just about identical.
This is the kind of tool needed
http://www.amazon.com/CDI-1502LDIN-8-Inch-Memory-150-Inc/dp/B000KKXOQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433543489&sr=8-1&keywords=inch+pound+dial+torque+wrench&pebp=1433543500361&perid=1ZD8FMJF3EGGAG86B8XC
If your replacing the seal which I assume you are, and if you do not have the correct tools. The best method is to install the nut with an air impact. Tighten down the nut about 3 seconds when the gun tone changes to a dull thud stop immediately so to not effect the pinion preload, the last thing you want to do is get the preload to loose nor to tight. I build a lot of axles so I can do it by feel and ear, this is a hard job to get right even for a tech and if its wrong it will ruin the pinion bearings and possibly the gears. I am heading out the door for dinner but will be back in a couple hours.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
I am back online if for any reason you have a follow up question. The spec upload was wrong, here it is below.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/03F150specs.pdf