Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a Ford Tempo it shut off on me while driving out the

Customer Question
parking lot and every since...
I have a Ford Tempo it shut off on me while driving out the parking lot and every since that day it hasnt fired up it cranks but no start any idea of what could cause this car not to start
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Also has no spark and the gas gauge is not working
6/5/2015
Ford Mechanic: jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech replied 2 years ago
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
ok, it has no spark
did you check for spark at the plugs only ?
what size is the motor ?
Yes only at the spark plugs it's a 2.3l 4 cylinder I bought an new ICM I didn't install it yet because I couldn't get the old ICM off, alternator is in the way
I've confirmed that the distributor is turning while I crank the engine
Any ideas that can help me solve this problem
did you check the coil wire at the cap and coil ,this sometimes has a corroded tower at the coil or dist cap.
check for spark from the coil to the dist ..
most likely the icm is bad these go bad a lot and is usually the issue of a no spark issue ..
Do I have to remove the alternator to remove the old ICM I tried removing it but couldn't get it off because the alternator is in the way to fit my Phillips screw driver
It would make it easier to remove the alt.
the screws that hold the icm in are 7/32 heads .unless someone changed it already and used different screws
and you can get at the screws easier if you turn the dist and use a socket ..jazzmaster ..
Would it mess up any timing if I remove the alternator or turn the distributor
if you remove the alternator --no
as far as the distributor -take the dist cap off and mark where the rotor is pointing on the dist body .all you are doing is turning the dist .so when you turn the dist back just line up the mark -then your timing will be where it was ...jazzmaster ..
hi, do you still need assistance ? ,,..jazzmaster
hi, If I helped you please rate me positive ,,..jazzmaster
jazzmaster
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech