SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 16 years experience
10552493

Explorer: I have an '05 Explorer 4.6 l V8 Eddie Bauer that's

Customer Question

I have an '05 Explorer 4.6 l V8 Eddie Bauer that's been to five different tranny shops in the past year. It is not showing any codes so I'm told there;s nothing worng with it ... but I get a loud "clunk" when shifting from P to R, a softer clunk shifting from P to D, occasional clunks/delayed shifts in 2/3 and 3/4, and just recently a "clunk" during downshifting from 3/2. It squeaks/clunks terribly even on minor cracks and bumps, and thinking back, I had the "bird chirp" sound for a long time at speeds under 30 ... I am wondering if bad u-joints could be causing all this, as I've had the tranny scanned several times and it doesn't throw codes.
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperDave replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using just answer I will help you with your question.The chirping sound it caused by bad U-joints check the the u-joint at the rear in front of the differential and just after the transmission tail shaft.Grab the drive shaft and turn it back and fourth to see if there is any play.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you ... any chance this is what's been causing the strange shifts? Or should I have the EPC solenoid replaced even though it's not throwing any codes? Or take care of the u-joints and then see what it does? Tranny people do not want to talk to me until it needs a full rebuild, and it's been doing this for a year now with no noticeable change in the tranny's ability to shift, just louder clunking noises and squeaks over even small bumps, and a few more "lurching" shifts ... slight vibration I can feel in the gas pedal, seat, and steering wheel in 3rd and 4th, but the tranny RPM needle doesn't wobble.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you ... any chance this is what's been causing the strange shifts? Or should I have the EPC solenoid replaced even though it's not throwing any codes? Or take care of the u-joints and then see what it does? Tranny people do not want to talk to me until it needs a full rebuild, and it's been doing this for a year now with no noticeable change in the tranny's ability to shift, just louder clunking noises and squeaks over even small bumps, and a few more "lurching" shifts ... slight vibration I can feel in the gas pedal, seat, and steering wheel in 3rd and 4th, but the tranny RPM needle doesn't wobble. In other words, there's a little unsteadiness while in a particular gear, but it doesn't appear to be coming from the tranny as we first thought, since the RPM indicator doesn't wobble or vibrate with the vehicle.
Expert:  SuperDave replied 2 years ago.
Check the U-joints first and let me know what you find.