Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford f150: i have a 2007 f150 with the 5.4 3 valve engine with a

Customer Question
i have a 2007 f150...
i have a 2007 f150 with the 5.4 3 valve engine witha loud tick at all rpm,s. Noise will increase as rpm increase. Two different ford mechanic's listened to noise. One said Phasers the other said cam and cam rollers. After change phasers, timing chains, chain guides, chain tensiener still, still have the same loud tick. Manchanic says all cam rollers both sides looked ok. It does sound like a lifter but can not islote to which cyl. what else could it be. Hate to spend more money on guess work.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
6/5/2015
Ford Mechanic: fordtechsuzukitech25, Ford Technician replied 3 years ago
fordtechsuzukitech25
fordtechsuzukitech25, Ford Technician
first u can unplug one injector or coil at a time till it gets quieter, also if the valve covers were off u could have just pushed on the follower one at a time with a screwdriver and u can tell which one or ones r faulty, if good u wont be able to collapse it if bad it will bleed down relatively easy, also I have had a couple with broken valve springs and the worst part about broken valve spring is u couldn't even see it with valve covers removed because it was broke down at the cyl. head, one more thing if there is even a slight miss or vibration in the engine u most likely have to do a running compression test to find what cyl. is faulty, take the valve stem out of compression tester and one cyl at a time run engine and good cyl. should be half of cranking compression