Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Ford F350: Help with 2004 Ford F350 6.0 diesel

Customer Question

Help with 2004 Ford F350 6.0 diesel
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Whats wrong with it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
total loss of power. push gas and no go. a lot of work on it this year replacing all the usual known problems. I have it attached right now to autoenginuity and pulling codes
Let me know what codes you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing so far but P1000 which is I assume because I recently cleared codes
OK so it starts and idles but the accelerator pedal does nothing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
correct. idles rough too. 4 months ago I changed all injectors. ran fine until this month - felt like one was not working well but would clear after a few miles so I thought stickage. thats gone on about a week and now no power
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
restarted scanner and now getting P0281 and P0404
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
KOEO injector buzz test good
I am attaching a tsb for this condition. Follow it through paying close attention to the L, V and M power PIDs.L and V power should remain 11.5 volts at all times, including while cranking the engine. Lower voltage would indicate weak batteries at the time of testing. M power should remain 45 volts or higher, lower voltage would indicate weak converter in the fuel injector driver module.Also check the wires near the FICM connector and make sure they arent loose, chafed or broken.Just a moment and I will pull up those codes.
The 404 is usually a stuck open EGR pintle from carbon build up. Pull the EGR valve and inspect it. Clean it if there is carbon in there.The 281 is usually a bad injector. You mentioned changing the injectors. Was that code present then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok I'll work on the tsb. after injector change no codes / problems were noted so its new. I did pull the EGR this morning. it had some carbon on it so cleaned off and reinstalled. I didn't think it looked excessive. the EGR valve was put in new 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
FICM refurb unit was installed at same time - 4 months ago.
If the egr valve is under warranty I would warranty it out before trying to troubleshoot it.That only makes me suspect the FICM even more on the accelerator pedal problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok working on that testing now. i checked batterys. 12.2 on both and the 11.4 under load for each
Alright. Let me know what happens on that testing and we can go from there. Ill be standing by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
logic power - 11.50
main power - 47.5
vehicle power - 11.5
the main power goes from 47.5 to 48, but the other 2 don't move. i'm going to check FICM connections - may take a couple minutes
Are these numbers while cranking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no thats KOEO
Graph them up while cranking if you can graph and see if they dip low during cranking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok trying now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no dip - went up slightly to 48 and 12's but never lower than 47.5 and 11.5
Check the IPR commanded and the ICP desired and actual. Let me know what you get.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see that in my available options to test. called something else?
I would think auto enginuity would have those PIDs available but I dont know where. You would be best off calling their help line on that.. but ICP is one of the most important pids on that truck. I cant imagine they would leave it out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok will look more
Alright. Ill be standing by when you figure it out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
found it - I was scrolling right by it.
ICP desired 580's - 590's (constantly changes)
ICP actual - same. 580's - 590's.
ICP volts ranges in the 80's
ICP pressure regulator around 25%
Check for chafing in the spots in the attached document and also verify no pins are bent at the PCM.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pulled the FICM no problems with the pins. traced wiring and at least don't see anything. hard to tell though. hooked FICM back up with same codes showing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should i be clearing codes every once in a while and then refreshing?
No. Let the codes be. If any others pop up let me know what.Did you check for chafing in the spots in the ducument I sent?Did you check the pins at the PCM?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes pulled the FICM no pins out of line. traced wires for chaffing and didn't see anything obvious. plugged FICM back in with same results and same codes. I have to stop for an appointment. could I resume with you at another time or do I have to start over?
Yeah just come back to this same page and reply to pick up where you left off. No rush on my end and we can stop and start as often as needed till we get it resolved.Your next test is going to be "wiggle testing" all the wiring while you got the FICM voltages graphed up and see if a certain spot causes your voltages to change.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok great - thanks
No problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi back at it. I tried the wiggle test and didn't notice anything. The FICM L and V stayed more on 12 than the 11.5 yesterday but other than that nothing
Alright. Just a moment.
OK. Did you ever warranty out that EGR valve?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
by warrnty out do you mean have it replaced? if so I didn't - just cleaned it and put back in.
Yeah. I meant replace it under warranty.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
got it - no. I can if think need too.
It could be bad and just not setting a code and could cause your issues. Its certainly worth a shot. Were running low on things to check here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok I'll break off with you now and get new one..
Alright. When you get that installed if it dont do it check your MAP and EBP sensor readings key on engine off and let me know what they are showing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will do thanks
No problem. Ill be standing by when you get back. Just reply and let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello - I'm back working on this today. Was out of town a couple of days. I replaced the EGR valve and no changes. checking the MAP I get 14.35 and the EBP is .93 That is KOEO reading.
Watch the MAP and EBP sensors with the engine revved up for a couple of seconds and let me know what pressures you are getting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had to break off again ran out of time. will try again as soon as I can.
Alright. Thanks