Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Tim, I have a 2004 F250 Powerstroke 6.0, 158,000 miles

Customer Question
Hi Tim, I have a 2004...
Hi Tim,
I have a 2004 F-250 Powerstroke 6.0, 158,000 miles on the truck. Tonight, I noticed a puddle underneath the truck, and further investigation revealed a leak coming from the aft area of the engine block. Can't quite discern where exactly the leak is coming from, seems to be pooling around the exhaust manifold, but leaking from up top somewhere that I can't see. Liquid smells like diesel but shining a light to it shows a greenish color. I just bought this truck 2 weeks ago and have very little knowledge and experience with diesels. I'm inclined to think that it is coolant because the coolant reservoir is very low on top of the engine towards the back of the compartment, however I get the faint smell of diesel fumes in the cabin and I have had an issue with the fuel gauge randomly dropping below E indicating a fuel sending unit issue, but with the smell combined with the leak, wondering if they are all connected some how. Sorry about the long narrative, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/3/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Dab up some of the fluid with toilet paper, this will tell us the color, and allow us to figure out which fluid it is. The coolant should be yellow/gold but it could of been changed and is now green. Diesel fuel normally has a slight green tint.
Diesel fumes in the cabin will be a fuel leak or an exhaust leak. I need you to try and find the source of the leak, then I can tell you how to address it. There are way to many possibilities with just the information of finding fluid on the ground.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Just looked at it in the daylight, the truck is leaking diesel from around the exhaust manifold around the very aft cylinder on the driver's side. Was able to get about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn on each bolt going into the block to tighten, but it is still leaking. Does the 2004 6.0 Powerstroke have an exhaust manifold gasket that I could replace and if so, how involved of a process is this? I think that I can get to all of the bolts to do it myself, however who knows how difficult it will be to remove the bolts from block.
Thanks, ***** ***** diesel fuel leaking, that means its not the exhaust. Its a fuel line or fitting around the fuel filter and lines to and from it to the heads and the fuel pump on the frame. Can you look closer at these things.
Thanks Chris...ended up being hairline cracks in the upper fuel filter cap. Bought a new cap and filters and she's good to go.
Glad you found the failure. Thanks for your rating.
Are you needing any more help on this concern?