Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

E450: I have a 2002 E450 super duty bus with Tritan v10

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2002 E450 super duty bus with Tritan v10 engine. It has been losing about a gallon of coolant per day. Can not tell where it is coming from, but can smell coolant when it is being driven off and on. Can also see where coolant has leaked out around the overflow bottle area. Any ideas, has this happened before? Thanks Keith
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Change the thermostat. If you cannot visibly see a leak but for around the overflow, then the thermostat is most likely sticking closed causing the engine to overheat and boil the coolant out the overflow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is not overheating. Still the thermostat?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a coolant/engine temperature gauge or is it just a warning light?
If it's a gauge how hot does it get?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Is the overflow bottle leaking out the overflow or does it just have a hole in it?
If you don't know, remove the hose going to the radaitor and plug it up and fill the bottle and see if it leaks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gauge that shows normal operating temp when running and when this occurs.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Have the radiator cap tested or just replace it and also if there are no other problems, check that bottom radiator hose and make sure it isn't sucking closed when the engine is running. With the engine off, feel that bottom hose and see if you can squeeze it closed real easy and feel if there is a spring inside the hose.
I am not thinbking thermostat now unless it is blowing the coolant out the overflow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No visible leak. Appears to come from around the over flow cap. Replaced cap, did not fix problem.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Change the thermostat.