Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

E450: I have a 2002 E450 super duty bus with Triton v10

Customer Question
Hi I have a 2002...
Hi I have a 2002 E450 super duty bus with Tritan v10 engine. It has been losing about a gallon of coolant per day. Can not tell where it is coming from, but can smell coolant when it is being driven off and on. Can also see where coolant has leaked out around the overflow bottle area. Any ideas, has this happened before? Thanks Keith
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/3/2015
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Change the thermostat. If you cannot visibly see a leak but for around the overflow, then the thermostat is most likely sticking closed causing the engine to overheat and boil the coolant out the overflow.
It is not overheating. Still the thermostat?
Do you have a coolant/engine temperature gauge or is it just a warning light?
If it's a gauge how hot does it get?
Is the overflow bottle leaking out the overflow or does it just have a hole in it?
If you don't know, remove the hose going to the radaitor and plug it up and fill the bottle and see if it leaks.
Gauge that shows normal operating temp when running and when this occurs.
Have the radiator cap tested or just replace it and also if there are no other problems, check that bottom radiator hose and make sure it isn't sucking closed when the engine is running. With the engine off, feel that bottom hose and see if you can squeeze it closed real easy and feel if there is a spring inside the hose.
I am not thinbking thermostat now unless it is blowing the coolant out the overflow.
No visible leak. Appears to come from around the over flow cap. Replaced cap, did not fix problem.
Change the thermostat.
Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician