Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Mustang 3.8: is the temp sensor and the head sensor separate

Customer Question

Are the temp sensor and the head sensor separate sensors or just one?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. There is only one temp sensor. I'm assuming your fan isn't working? Is your check engine light on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it is. I replaced the fan and the CCRM still no fan when I turn on the AC.

However, after changing the CCRM and running the AC to see if the cooling fan would come on the compressor pressure valve released and blew off some built up pressure.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Does the fan work when engine gets hot? Just not when using AC?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You said your check engine light is on, what codes are you getting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The code was for a evap leak. Its was on prior to this problem

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

At the cooling fan relays 1 pin should have power at all times and 1 pin should have power on each relay with key in start position. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When you say relay, are you talking about the 30 amp fuse inside the fuse box?

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Nevermind, I forgot these relays are integrated into the CCRM. Sorry about the confusion. Unplug the CCRM and check yellow/black wires at pins 3 and 4 for battery power. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok. ill try that and get back to you.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good, thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No power to the CCRM at 3 and 4
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
These get power from the 30 amp Fan Circuit breaker. Remove circuit breaker to verify it is getting 12v. If so, replace circuit breaker. if that doesn't help the yellow/black wire that goes from circuit breaker to pins 3 and 4 is broken and you will need to trace wires to repair or run new wires. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

why would the AC Compressor continue to blow off pressure while the car idles for approx 5 min? That started after replacing the ccrm. is that happening because the cooling fan isn't working? seems like the ac is putting a lot of strain on the motor. today while testing the car it blew without the ac being turned on inside the car.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Fan isn't cooling keeping condenser cold which causes pressure to go too high.