Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

F150: Code P0012 and P0022. The truck misfires badly occasionally

Customer Question
Code P0012 and P0022. The...
Code P0012 and P0022. The truck misfires badly occasionally at idle after reaching operating temperature. With a tap or two on the accelerator it idles ok again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/2/2015
Ford Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.To diagnose these codes takes one of three things. A lot of time checking everything or a lot of money "throwing parts at it" or a new engine or a kit that locks the cam phasers which also requires a custom tune to remove the variable timing from the pcm. Option one and two could still leave you needing option three or four. That being said you have to decide how much time and money you want to put in it. I can tell you what option I would take if it were mine.Let me know how you want to proceed.
Which option would you take?
Option 4. Its quick, easy and half the time cheaper than the other options and you eliminate the VVT system which avoids issues down the road plus you get a great excuse to buy a tuner ;) Theyre fun to have sometimes.
Can you give a complete procedure of how to test it?
No but I can walk you through it step by step if you have the tools and patience. I have to know results of one test to be able to know what the next test is. Do you have a scan tool? Do you have a multimeter? Do you have an oscilloscope?
I think the problem might be low oil pressure. What are the oil pressure specs on these?
I think its low oil pressure too but it isnt gonna show on a pressure gauge. Its low oil pressure in the heads not properly activating the VVT.
Ok. The engine oil pressure at operating temperature at idle is 18psi and at 2000 rpm is 52psi.
Just a second. Let me check specs on that.
That sounds fine but like I said it wont show on a pressure test.
Min Oil pressure at idle is 15 PSI so you are fine there.
According to onDemand 5 the minimum pressure at 2000 RPM is 75PSI. Do I have wrong specs there?
Ford only provides a spec at idle on these but your 2000 RPM pressure is fine.. I dont think it had much more than that brand new.
Actually I just found it on a TSB and its 40-75 at 2000.
So where would it be losing oil pressure for the VCT? I'm pretty sure that it's oil pressure there. I found out the guy had changed the cam gears already and that made a huge difference. Before it had the problem all the time and after that only after reaching operating temperature and at idle.
Its losing oil pressure in the oil ports to the head. Over time they get smaller and smaller until it just cant deliver enough oil to activate the VVT actuator.
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner