Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford f250: I have 2004 Ford F-250 6.0 , I get wif light ,glow…

Customer Question
I have 2004 Ford F-250...
I have 2004 Ford F-250 6.0 , I get wif light ,glow plug light, loss of power and sometimes stalls, but always starts right up.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/2/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Use a digital volt meter with a min/max function to monitor the battery voltage PCM at fuse 22 in the inside fuse box. The circuit should maintain full battery voltage any time the key is on. If the voltage drops when the problem occurs, swap the PCM power relay with a similar relay and recheck operation. If the problem is gone, replace the faulty relay.
If battery voltage stays consistent on the Red wire PCM power, monitor the 5 V reference voltage on the Brown/White wire at pin 90 of the PCM connector. If the voltage drops from 5 V when the problem happens, suspect a shorting sensor, or a short to ground in the reference voltage circuit. Try disconnecting each sensor on the reference voltage circuit. Start with disconnecting the exhaust backpressure and Injection Control Pressure (ICP) sensors one at a time and recheck operation. If the problem is gone after disconnecting a sensor, replace and recheck operation. If the VEEF voltage stays steady at 5 V, then shake the wire harness to each sensor to try to make this occur. Monitor the voltage drop on the grounds at pins 51, 76, 77, and 103 Black/White (BK/WH) wires and pin 25 Black/Light Blue (BK/LB)at the PCM wires when the problem happens. Repair or add grounds to the circuits as needed and recheck operation.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Moose, my skill level is that of novice. It makes some sense what your saying , but I still need baby gloves
Tell me what you can do and not do from the steps I typed out. Normally its one sensor bad or a wire short. Each sensor gets 5 volts from the PCM called VREF. The sensor gets its reading and returns a voltage to the PCM which is between 0-5 volts. When you short out this VREF, all sensors lose this VREF, causing these lights and running issues.
I briefly looked over your reply, but I haven't had a chance to perform the task. I plan on tackling today , I will reply with my result.
Super
Is there any possible way to send photo, diagram or video.... I prefer illustration. About the only thing I really understand is the beginning , I think. Turn the key , take multimeter , and with both prongs touch fuse 22 ???? Really lost
Yes you can attach photos or upload links through dropbox or wikisend. The post is due to time out and close in 23 hours.
Can you attach some sort of visualization ?
Tell me what you need an image of?
Sorry I'm not really understanding ....
You asked " Can you attach some sort of visualization ? "What is it, that you need a picture of?
How and where to place the volt meter?
Set the meter to DC volts, ground the black probe, and use the red probe on the face of the fuse at the test pins to see if you get battery voltage on both sides.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician