Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford 150: yes I have a 2004 ford 150 no communication to

Customer Question
Hi yes I have a...
Hi yes I have a 2004 ford 150 no communication to the pcm
and where the miles go I have a bunch of lines
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/1/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
The expert you have requested is not on line so I will help you with this.
Does the speedometer still read the actual speed?
No
It only has lines and a letter t
Yes I under stand ,so your saying the odometer has dashes but does the speedometer read the speed when you drive it?
No nothing it will not start
In most cases this type of problem is caused by a failed cluster and that can also cause the loss of communication with the PCM. I would start first with making sure you have power and ground at the DLC , power is supplied from fuse 41 in the interior fuse panel. If the fuse checks okay then check power and ground at the DLC with the steps in the link below. If that checks okay then you most likely have a failed cluster. Ford released the following Special Service Message related to odometer malfunction on the 2004 F150: SOME 2004 F-150 VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 10/02/2003 MAY EXHIBIT A BLANK ODOMETER/MESSAGE CENTER DISPLAY. THE BACK LIGHTING FOR THE DISPLAY MAY ILLUMINATE, BUT NO CHARACTERS WILL BE DISPLAYED. TO SERVICE, REPLACE THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER.
See the DLC pin out in the link below, copy and paste it to your browser to open and view it. If power and ground check okay at the DLC then suspect a failed cluster. If the instrument cluster is replaced, Programmable Module Installation (PMI) will need to be performed, using a Ford scan tool, or equivalent
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Data%20link%20Jun%201.pdf
sorry going to check truck
Okay , Im here if you need me.
Ok thanks
You bet.
Hi Ron are u still there
Yes Im here .
Ok so I have power and ground
With the key off I see the miles on the truck
Then I would suspect you have a failing ICP providing you have power and ground at the ICP.
I would at lease consider removing it and sending it out to be checked.
Where is that sensor location
Which sensor are you referring to?
The icp
The ICP (instrument panel cluster) is the instrument cluster assembly.
So the instruments cluster where can I have it check
Ford has there source but I know of another thats real good as well. See it in the link below,
http://www.instrumentclusters.com/
If I get one from a use parts I have to rePrograme the pcm
Yes anytime you replace it , programming is required. It will not start if this is not done.
Ok so the problem is the instruments cluster right
That y I can't communication with the pcm
If there is nothing wrong with your scanner and you have power and ground at the DLC then a failing cluster can keep it from commutating as well or you have something else in the system that is failing . Run the steps enclosed in the link below .
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Scanner%20test%20Jun%202.pdf
I have power in the injector
And fuse 34 is good
Well then with everything you have already replaced then having the cluster checked would be the next step.
Ok I will check that
Okay.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician