Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I purchased a slide in truck camper (Adventurer 116DS --

Customer Question

I purchased a slide in truck camper (Adventurer 116DS -- check out amlrv.com to see it). I plan to purchase a 2015 Ford F350 Lariat trim crew cab DRW diesel 4x4 with a GVWR of 14,000. The camper center of gravity will be 1 - 2 inches behind the rear axle
when dry (4200 lbs), 1 - 2 inches in front of the rear axle when wet (4750 pounds). With two people, food, clothes, bicycles etc I anticipate the GVWR could be 14300 to 14500. Can the rear axle handle this? Mechanically speaking (not legally) is it much of
a problem to be 10% above GVWR for the suspension so long as the tire weight rating and axle weight ratings are not exceeded? I would have to ditch the diesel or 4 x 4 option to decrease truck curb weight or remove stuff from the camper (microwave, A/C, etc)
to be not a pound over 14,000. Can the breaks and exhaust breaks handle this? I want mechanic's opinion and not a Ford salesperson's because they will say whatever they have to to sell the truck! Thank you. Thank you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
I do not have the cap info on the 2015, I will open this up to others,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Tim.