Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2010 F150 supercrew .. sunroof stuck open in the vent posi…

Customer Question
2010 F150 supercrew .. sunroof...
2010 F150 supercrew .. sunroof stuck open in the vent position
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
is there a way to close it manually until I can get it repaired? it made a loud pop earlier in the day was difficult to close but did close .. forgot and opened it later . opened fine but won't close ..
6/1/2015
Ford Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you todayThe only way to manually close it to remove the motor then you can force it closed.Here are the instructions to remove the motor. Lower the rear of the headliner. For additional information, refer to Section 501-05.For SuperCab vehicles, remove the B-pillar trim panels.For SuperCrew vehicles, remove the C-pillar trim panels.If equipped, remove the 3 headliner pin-type retainers.If equipped, remove the 2 headliner garment hooks.Disconnect the roof opening panel motor electrical connector.Remove the 3 roof opening panel motor screws.To install, tighten to 4 Nm (35 lb-in).Remove the roof opening panel motor.
Let me know if you need anything further and if not please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thank you.
what is section 501-05? is it the shop manual? I don't have one
Here is the headliner section.
The load pop I heard when I first tried to close the sun roof, was that the track (or some sort of movement arm) or a linkage to the track? i think it's disconnected from the track, the motor is functioning (as I can hear it) .. when the vent didn't close i hit open and the motor operates, and the su roof pops up a little more then settles back down .. like a mechanism is hitting a bar or linkage and then stopping at the limit
The track most likely broke. I cant say for sure without seeing it. Either way though the whole thing is replaced as a module so whatever it is the fix is the same.
Okay .. was afraid of that .. is there anything I need to mark (orientation) of be careful of when disconnetcing the motor?
Nope. It just goes back in the same orientation.. the position of the actual gear doesnt matter.
Thanks .
Looking at the motor, the screws to remove mount the motor to the rail, os it the rail holding the motor I am removing?
Theres three bolts holding the motor to the track. Youre removing those then the motor.
Thanks Wayne .. the sun roof guy at the local dealership is booked and it's supposed to rain hard tonight .. hopefully I can get this closed
I removed the motor, and I cannot close it from the vent position .. afraid of breaking the glass pushing to hard
Then youre gonna have to remove the glass and see whats blocking it. Just a moment
If you can access the 4 screws holding the glass to the track (I think you can with it in the vent position) remove the glass and look and see whats binding. You may even be able to fix it if its just something in the track or something.. I doubt it but its always possible. If you cant figure it out since you already have the headliner removed you cuold drive it to the sunroof specialist and Im sure they could squeeze in closing it so it dont get rained in. Shouldnt take them long since you got the headliner out of the way.
I pulled the two metal guides from the front and the window dropped down .. put some foam under it to hold it flush as the rear dropped below the roof line .. there was broken plastic on/around the metal guides ..
Get everything out of the track and you should be able to lower it down. The module will need replaced. I dont think they make a bushing kit for a 2010 yet but you may want to do some digging. They eventually make them for all models with common issues.
Actually they do. It is good for up to 2014. You can find it here.
I found that site a few minutes ago .. the pieces that are broken are the two small ones in the middle of each set ..only one side was still attached
Well you know what you need to do. Those kits come with instructions. I have bought them before and had good luck with them. Saves a ton of money as long as the part you need is in there.
Thanks Wayne .. not looking forward to pulling the entire headliner to fiix this but you helped get me ready
Yeah. its a pain but to save 700 bucks its worth the effort.Let me know if you need anything further and if not please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thank you
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner