Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

F-150: "F-150 vibrating, especially between 40-50mph when accelerating.

Customer Question
"F-150 vibrating, especially between 40-50mph...
"F-150 vibrating, especially between 40-50mph when accelerating. Runs at low rpm idle. Changed spark plugs, vct solenoids. Going to try cam phasers."
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/1/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.

I assume your blaming this vibration on the engine based on the repairs you have done and are wanting to do. Have you had a power balance test ran to rule out a coil going bad.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

No I have not had a power balance test. It always vibrated before I changed solenoids but now after I changed the solenoids its vibrating louder. The timing chain looked fine so it can't be that. Only thing I could think of why its doing this is the can phasers causing timing problems.

You said vibrating louder in your reply. Is this a noise or feeling concern?

Feeling and noise

Can you go into more detail on both so I can imagine what your experiencing, like sound, and feel, where you feel it and where it appears to be coming from?

Feel it in the cab, engine runs rough like its shaking every time the pistons move.,definitely the engine though

Unless there are cam timing codes, I would pass on looking into timing issues and have the test run to check the coils.

The car starts up fine no misfires. I seriously doubt the coils would be the problem. Plus they looked fine to me when I changed the plugs. I got a p0206 code after the solenoids were changed not sure why.

You can not test a coil by visually looking at it nor with a DVOM. It takes a diagnostic tool.

Would you like the diag steps for that code?

None of the problems I'm having are pointing to a coil.

It seems we are making no progress and wasting each others time. I will opt out now and let someone else help.

Ford Mechanic: fordtechsuzukitech25, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
fordtechsuzukitech25
fordtechsuzukitech25, Ford Technician
sounds like a broken valve spring have seen a bunch, tricky part is finding which one, u really cant see it with the valve covers removed, the easiest way to tell is doing a running compression test, u take shrader valve out of a compression tester and check each cylinder one at a time, while its idling it should have half the cranking compression so u will need to do both
fordtechsuzukitech25
fordtechsuzukitech25
fordtechsuzukitech25, Ford Technician