Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford f150 4x4: I havew a 1993 ford 150 4x4 with fuel injection.

Customer Question

I havew a 1993 ford 150 4x4 with fuel injection. Truck cranks trying to start but appears no gas getting to injectors until after 2-5 minutes cranking. Then starts running rough and then runs ok. Now I can cranks for 5 minutes and no gas getting to engine. Can you give me hints?
Category: Ford
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 2 years ago.
hi, this sounds like a fuel issue .
did you check the fuel pressure ?
how long has it been since the fuel filter was changed ?
have you checked to see if you have good spark ?
from the coil to the dist cap and then for spark at the spark plugs .
it may also, be good to check the injectors to see if you are getting a good pulse to them .using a noid light tester is the best way to check for injector pulse .
does the fuel pump sound any different when you first turn the key to the run position(not cranking) from the off position ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
have not checked fuel filter. pump is in rear gas tank. fuel filter I never have changed, got truck 5 years ago. Cannot hear pump due to being in side rear gas tank
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pressure sensor is working , I assume because front tank pump does let me attempt start or craqnking
please check the fuel filter or change it anyways due to it being on the vehicle that long.
if you have someone to help .have them turn the key to the run position and you listen at the tank for the pump to run
it will run for 2-3 seconds or so then stop ,this is normal as it is the prime for the fuel .
it should do that each time the key is turned to run from the off position ..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the filter inside fuel tank?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is filter inside fuel tank?
The filter is on the frame under thr drivers door area
hi, have you checked the fuel filter yet ? ...jazzmaster ..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced fuel filter. The truck started right away. Thought that we fixit problem.
after not running for a day, same story, tried to start but appears that no gas is getting to injectors.. Had to crank engine for about 1 or two minutes before truck would start. When we turn on ignition swith I can hear pump working but pump appears to work for over 10 seconds or more or longer. I would think that it would shut off. Ben
I think you may have an issue with the fuel pressure regulator .and it would be a good idea to check to make sure that the injectors are getting bat hot and a pulsating ground when cranking it over .
you also, need to check the fuel pressure and see if it holds the pressure when you turn the key to on .
it should hold the fuel pressure at least 15 minutes or so ..jazzmaster ..