Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Contour: I'm trying to remove an ignition lock cylinder from

Customer Question

I'm trying to remove an ignition lock cylinder from a 99 ford contour. I have drilled out the retainer pin but the lock cylinder is still stuck though it does come out about 1 cm after having drilled off the pin. The cylinder will not turn to ACC.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Unfortunately drilling out the locking pin alone wont do it. It has to turn to accessory. You have to drill out the tumblers so you can turn it to accessory.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. That'll probably take a while, huh? I have stainless steel drill bits. should I upgrade?
If you dont you will wish you did ;) Get some titanium bits. Your body will thank you at the end of this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, great. How will I know when it's done?
When you can fish the tumblers out with a small screwdriver or pick. Or turn it with a screwdriver. Just keep trying a screwdriver every now and then if it dont fall apart while youre drilling.. a lot of times it will just fall apart as you are drilling HERE is a youtube video showing it on a focus. Theyre all pretty much the same though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Wayne, that was helpful. Just for peace of mind, what's the tolerance of the lock cylinder housing in terms of the drilling I did to drill out the retaining pin?
There really isnt any tolerance but if you drill the hole bigger than it was originally your new lock cylinder will have a little play in it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great drilling away now!
Let me know if you come up with any new four letter words ;)